Go Back   FormKaos: Board > The Office > The Boardroom > FNK Archive > Old Parties/Club Forum's *View Only* > Vancouver Parties *View Only*
FAQ Community Arcade Today's Posts Search

Vancouver Parties *View Only* The Vancouver Parties & Club forum's have been locked. You can view but not post. Please add your event to the Calendar by clicking the "New Event" button or the "Add event to Calendar" link below.

LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
Old Oct 19, 03
Registered

teamR3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dig-Dug TONIGHT @ Shape

TeamR3 Proudly Presents
DIG-DUG (Consciousness Records | The Bass-Sick Boyz USC Events )

Douglas McIntyre purchased his first set of turntables in late 1995. Time would prove this to be the best investment he has made to date. He spent the majority of the following 6 months in his bedroom. First perfecting the technical fundamentals, and later developing a personalized DJ style. His natural talent was immediately recognized by Portland’s underground dance music scene, and Dig-Dug began performing at house parties in the area. He made his official debut at a large-scale event on April 20th, 1996 in Portland, OR for U.S.A. Productions. After this extraordinary first impression, he began playing out regularly in several Oregon cities. At this time Doug made a long-lasting decision to set off on a quest. His quest was simple: as a DJ/producer he would expose as many individuals as possible to the power of breakbeats. That same year, Doug graduated from high school and moved to Eugene, OR. While there he studied electronic music production and music theory at Lane Community College.

In 1997, Doug came across his first speed garage record and was immediately addicted to this new sound. He gained inspiration from DJ Czech (Vancouver, BC), who educated him on the genre. Doug's refusal to abandon his breakbeat quest led him to the unique and clever combination of speed garage and bassline-heavy breaks that soon became his signature sound.

Dig-Dug is joined by Fluid (Pound Recordings)
The Fluid story begins in October 97 in Vancouver, B.C. As a party kid, Pete Mura (Fluid) had gone to many of the events in Vancouver, giving shape to the city as being one of the best in North America for the Electronic Music scene. His days as a party-goer were becoming numbered due to the fact that the dj's were not playing the style which he had grown to love. This sprung the creation of DJ Fluid. Starting out playing house parties for his friends as a hobby on two belt-driven Technique DL-20's, he quickly realized that it was time to take the plunge and buy 1200's to get his skills to an actual dj level. In doing so, his style changed from just buying any records, to actually developing, and pushing a style of Electronic Music. But which one?! Coming from a long history of listening to Hip Hop since the age of 14, then getting into the Heavy-Metal/Punk side of things, he wanted something with a driving edge that was not the same as what everyone else was playing. Dj's Simply Jeff, Mojo and Raz, John Kelley(at the time), Dan(at the time), and locals Czech, and Slim were pushing the sounds of breakbeat hard. This beautiful genre of music had exactly the elements that Fluid was looking for. He quickly started on developing his now very recognizable style of impeccable long mixing, with a taste of turntablism. It took about a year and a half to start getting a feeling for where he wanted to go with this. At this time, Fluid received his first gig. Playing at the local Buffalo Jeans store in the mall. Playing for jeans and socks until that residency was crushed after two weeks by mall security. Fluid was chased back into the hills to play house parties again for beer. That weekend, while playing for a packed living room, Sean Karl approaches Fluid with a proposal to start a club night. Pound Wednesdays was born with Fluid as resident, along with Cold Steel Records. Cold Steel Records, founded in 98 had a focus on providing Vancouverites with a broad spectrum of Electronic music every Wednesday night at the Palladium nightclub. This allowed Fluid to play along side with such names as Simply Jeff, Laidback, and his two favorite locals, Czech and Slim. This also provided an alley to release Fluid's first CD entitled Sunny Breaks which was very well received on a national level. Flux Magazine ranked it in the top twenty new releases for international mixed cd's. During this time, Fluid wanted to broaden his musical horizons. After going to the Miami Winter Conference in 2000, and learning that a well known Drum and Bass producer had already claimed the title of Cold Steel, it was time to close the chapter of Cold Steel, and bring on the new, and improved Pound Recordings Inc. Pound Wednesdays continues; however, at the new location of #7 Alexander St. Mostly focusing as a night strictly on breakbeat and D&B, it has given Fluid the opportunity to play out his other passion of Drum and Bass as well as his first, and foremost passion of the breaks. Pound has gained international recognition as the leading breakbeat night in Vancouver. The loop magazine reviewed Pound in their June 2001 issue as having a vibe “Somewhere between mellow and crazy. This place is decked out to the nines and everyone is having a great time. Fluid is now a well-recognized name in the international scene. His driving Nu Skool breaks have won him the coveted title of best dj in Vancouver by winning the 104.9 X-fm dj competitions in 2000. He is regularly playing out in Canada and the U.S. along side as such names as B.L.I.M., Johnny Dangerously, Storm, Dieselboy, Soul of Man, Simply Jeff, Mystical Influence, and DJ Icey to name a few. His newest mixed CD, Nocturnal Overcast is a picture of what to expect from this madman. He is now into production, and is currently producing the track B.C. Buds with one half of the Brothers of Funk duo, Johnny Dangerously. This, among other gems will be released under his label, Pound Recordings, in the near future. Be prepared

Also Appearing

MC NeutrixX

MC NeutrixX is currently the resident dub (live on-the-fly effects) vocalist and host at Pound Wednesdays @ The Drink. He has performed with De La Soul, DJ Rectangle, Simply Jeff, Dieselboy, illfingas, Marcus, DJ Speedy and Mystical Influence to name a few. MC NeutrixX has been part of the Vancouver dance scene since 1992 and has participated in many events throughout Canada and the Pacific Northwest. MC NeutrixX was deeply involved with the production of Vancouver Earthdance 1999, 2000. You will also find vocals courtesy of MC NeutrixX on SSX Snowboarding for Playstation 2.

And Starting off the Night, Shape Resident Akeel (Pound/Needle/R3) And we here he'll be doing something special this night. You'll have to come and see for yourself.

Cover for this night is Only $7. As Always 2.75 Hi-balls and Pints.
Shape is the Only Reason to be a Hurting Unit on a Friday morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dig-dug.jpg (6.9 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by teamR3; Nov 14, 03 at 12:25 AM.
Old Oct 19, 03
Registered

Dj Lidster is an unknown quantity at this point
Wicked..I haven't seen Dig-dug and Fluid in quite a while..should be a wicked night of music.
Old Oct 19, 03
fuck yeah

Senior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the rough
I will sooooo be there!
Old Oct 19, 03
Registered

Nice Nolan...We figured this might make you get hard :keebler:
Old Oct 20, 03
Registered

hell it's made me hard
:tounge1:
Old Oct 21, 03
giveitallyougot

soma will become famous soon enough
Nice Work Boys!!!! The boys are all back to gether again!! Will not be missing this shit!!
Old Oct 22, 03
Sofa King Cool

Filo is on a distinguished road
gonna be sick!!!
Old Oct 22, 03
E is for Erica ;)

Erica is an unknown quantity at this point
nice! and right by my b-day. good timing boys!
Old Oct 23, 03
prangin' out

zarlon will become famous soon enoughzarlon will become famous soon enough
Yeah... six days before my EIGHTEENTH
Old Oct 23, 03
strange.

linds is an unknown quantity at this point
i want to go to this, but i doubt i will..

claire, we should make a cake and sit around at home or something: p
Old Oct 25, 03
Registered

Well Linds..we'd like to see ya there. I figure this is a night not to be missed. I know TeamR3 doesn't do stuff like this too often. But when they do..it tends to be nuts.
Old Oct 25, 03
strange.

linds is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah it looks good
i just dont know that its a good idea for me to go
who knows, but i would like to, so maybe i will :)

Last edited by linds; Oct 25, 03 at 12:37 PM.
Old Oct 25, 03
BWAM!

Ryan Ross will become famous soon enough
Hell yeah!!Dig Dug is nuts! :284:
Old Oct 25, 03
www.akeel.ca

Akeel has a spectacular aura aboutAkeel has a spectacular aura about
^
it'll be good to see ya out ryan!!
Old Oct 25, 03
The Truth is..So Ruthless

AGROculture has a spectacular aura aboutAGROculture has a spectacular aura about
Sexiness!!
Old Oct 27, 03
Revolution Productions

-DLO_604- is an unknown quantity at this point
with mc neutrix on the mic!!!!
Old Oct 27, 03
.::Music is Emotion::.

Veni*C will become famous soon enoughVeni*C will become famous soon enough
i think the same show is the next night in victoria @ hush?! i will sooo be there.....akeel better bring out a krew...we will drink and get drunk!!!! :c-tard:
Old Oct 27, 03
Registered

Not Exactly Veni_C the Next night in Vic is Dig-Dug/Emanuel and we think our boy Akeel.

We worked on getting Dig-Dug at the start of a new tour for him....and this is the Only Vancouver Date that is on the tour. It Just worked perfectly for him that he was to be in Vic the Next day.
Old Oct 30, 03
I *Heart* Sarcasm

Rhianna is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Filo
gonna be sick!!!
Filo Face are you going to go? I want to go. So we should go ok. I love Dig Dug ever so much.
Old Nov 02, 03
Registered

:060:
Old Nov 05, 03
Registered

less then 2 weeks away kids. :keebler:
Old Nov 05, 03
giveitallyougot

soma will become famous soon enough
woot!

Break heads, come to shape this week to check oliver and my self throw down!

the show on the 13th gunna be a ripper! Doug , Pete, & MC NeutrixX at the drink! just like back in the day.
Old Nov 07, 03
Registered

yes... tonight will be great...just as next week will be as well.
Old Nov 07, 03
just why?

pbreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhianna

Filo Face are you going to go? I want to go. So we should go ok. I love Dig Dug ever so much.
are you suggesting that you might actually come out?
Old Nov 08, 03
E is for Erica ;)

Erica is an unknown quantity at this point
Work schedule changed...no longer have to work the next morning at 7am so I can come! :) See ya peepos there.