Go Back   FormKaos: Board > General Discussion > Coffee Lounge > Couch Potato
FAQ Community Arcade Today's Posts Search

Couch Potato Post your latest reviews on movies, tv shows, and video games.

View Poll Results: do you like reality tv
yay 4 23.53%
nay 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
Old Jun 08, 06
fuck yeah

Senior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the rough
Reality TV? Yay or Nay?

So I'm starting to think that I am the only person left in NA that has never watched a reality TV series. I have had the misfortune of being in the room for the occasional bit of one here or there but that's about it. In short I feel that these shows are the lowest common denominator and offer nothing of real value or substance. They entice people by offering us the chance to view people having their worst insecurities exposed and there by make us feel better about ourselves. Also they are NOT reality! They have writers, some of the people on them are actors, and in fact have nothing real to offer.

end rant...

So what do you think?
Old Jun 08, 06
Mo-Licious

Mo... is an unknown quantity at this point
nope i am hear i hate reality tv... i dont really even watch tv..its all about the movies
Old Jun 08, 06
sNyx.com

sNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nice
I highly doubt you have not watched any, 90% of television is 'reality tv'. news is reality tv with analysis if you wanna get down to it. I don't mind the stuff I can relate to, such as the 'cribs' or 'house makeover' stuff, but by no means to I sitdown for it. reality tv is more of whats on when im actaully surfin channels, something that I try to avoid.
Old Jun 08, 06
black swan

prozac is just really niceprozac is just really niceprozac is just really niceprozac is just really niceprozac is just really niceprozac is just really nice
ANTM and the early audition episodes of Idol are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine...It's kind of like watching a car crash or something...

But seriously, Joe Schmoe was the only one I actually liked.
Old Jun 08, 06
fuck yeah

Senior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sNyx™
I highly doubt you have not watched any, 90% of television is 'reality tv'. news is reality tv with analysis if you wanna get down to it. I don't mind the stuff I can relate to, such as the 'cribs' or 'house makeover' stuff, but by no means to I sitdown for it. reality tv is more of whats on when im actaully surfin channels, something that I try to avoid.
I don't have cable so I don't watch much to start with. Other than that news is very different than reality TV. News is a legitimate attempt to tell about real events. Reality TV as a genre is based off taking random people and putting them into a scenario that is concocted by writers and has little or nothing to do with real life events.
Old Jun 08, 06

mojo is just really nicemojo is just really nicemojo is just really nicemojo is just really nicemojo is just really nicemojo is just really nice
ultimate fighter

all others are crap
Old Jun 08, 06
sNyx.com

sNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nice
Quote:
News is a legitimate attempt to tell about real events.
I would agree with you there, however; that fact alone makes it reality tv. Take one of the more popular roots in the genre Survivor. Real people compete in real situations and they are documented and broadcast to the masses. They are just as informative but mearly focused on a single story. Granted the value of this single story is near worthless nor life enriching, both serve the same purpose, legitimately attempt to tell about real events. You could call broadcast News the grandfather of Reality tv.
Old Jun 08, 06
Go Canucks Go!!

KenJi is on a distinguished road
Some of the food ones I enjoy actually on the food network. Like hell kitchen and such, also the ultimate fighter on spike t.v is alright, and that one time show they had the W.B superstar was pretty damn funny. *the one they convince people who can't obviously sing to think they are a superstar*
Old Jun 08, 06
John RevoLover

Revolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to all
reality tv not so much....i did really really like the aprentice and amazing race for a little...

ummm.

now im all about the king of cars!!!
Old Jun 08, 06

project.one has a spectacular aura aboutproject.one has a spectacular aura aboutproject.one has a spectacular aura about
Anyone watch the special where they said just how real Reality TV is?

Editing is a big part. And asking them the right questions during the interviews can make things seem different.

Even the Reality TV is totally real!
Old Jun 08, 06
sweet sensi crew

mapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the rough
Fuuuuuuuuuck that.

I think I watch maybe 30 minutes of CP24/CBC Newsworld a week.

TV sucks.
Old Jun 09, 06

-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light
most of its sooo bad. like fear factor, survivor, and apprentice. uck. i dont know how people can watch that stuff.

but i used to like watching american chopper and monster garage, those kind of shows about building different things were always pretty cool.

and Inked is really good too!
Old Jun 14, 06
fuck yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sNyx™
I would agree with you there, however; that fact alone makes it reality tv. Take one of the more popular roots in the genre Survivor. Real people compete in real situations and they are documented and broadcast to the masses. They are just as informative but mearly focused on a single story. Granted the value of this single story is near worthless nor life enriching, both serve the same purpose, legitimately attempt to tell about real events. You could call broadcast News the grandfather of Reality tv.
Actually you're way off the mark. Read this and get back to me, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_news

"News" or broadcast journalism is based off of current events that are relevant to our society at large. Who gets voted off the island is no more relevant to our society than what I had for breakfast. The closest thing we have left to this would be BBC and CBC news.