Go Back   FormKaos: Board > Music Discussion > Simply Music
FAQ Community Arcade Today's Posts Search

Simply Music All genres, hot artists, track ID and general discussion

LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
Old Jun 24, 05

matéo is a jewel in the roughmatéo is a jewel in the roughmatéo is a jewel in the roughmatéo is a jewel in the rough
Pioneer djm-909

ok so I have about 3 hours to decide if im going to splurge and buy this.

I really like what I have seen so far.

what do you think? the only comparison I have is buying a rane mixer with an efx unit extra.

im looking in soo, soma, akeel, direction??

help me out.

ps sorry to whore out this section of the forum.
Old Jun 24, 05
THE COBBLES ARE COMING.

omega_image is a jewel in the roughomega_image is a jewel in the roughomega_image is a jewel in the roughomega_image is a jewel in the roughomega_image is a jewel in the rough
depends what your looking for

the 909 is a great mixer tonnes of effects and high quality, the one thing i dont like about it is that it doesnt have a sampler

the rane itself is a fucking tank, a lifetime guarantee on its fader. with an fx unit it can be a sick ass combo, but will cost you more in the end
Old Jun 24, 05

matéo is a jewel in the roughmatéo is a jewel in the roughmatéo is a jewel in the roughmatéo is a jewel in the rough
yeah. no sampler is pretty shitty.

theres alot of room to be creative while mixing/scratching with this mixer though and thats for sure.
Old Jun 24, 05
blau

dj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nice
ack, I just lost a long reply :-\.

Anyway, I'm just going to re-iterate what Adam says: it really depends on what you're using it for. Probably the most comparable to the 909 would be a Rane 56 or Ecler Hak partnered with an EFX-500 (which also doesn't have a sampler).

Overall, the Rane or the Ecler has the edge in sound quality and construction quality with the Rane having a slight edge over the Ecler imo. The Rane and Ecler x-fader also feel a little better designed for the scratcher in mind, but that doesn't mean the pioneer is a shit design (the ability to adjust the tension on the fader is brilliant).

However, as far as being used for scratching - unless you're seriously wanting to be doing some hardcore DMC-type shit, I doubt you'll see a major difference between the 3 other than personal preference.

I'll have to say though, that the Rane effects send/return control is probably the best (uses a small fader similar to the headphone cue rather than just a button so you can adjust how much of the effect you're bringing in).

I think that all 3 options (pioneer, Rane + EFX, or Ecler + EFX) are around the same price range if you shop around so your best bet would be to wander into Tom Lee or Long & McQuade and just try them out and see which one feels the best to you. You're essentially going to be getting comparable quality with all 3 setups and they all have strengths/weaknesses...

It also depends on if you want to be Jazy Jeff or Z-Trip :) (Jazzy Jeff uses the 909 and Z-Trip uses a Rane/EFX 500 combo). I can't actually think of any super-famous DJs that champions the Ecler (other than Akeel of course :)) but that doesn't mean it's not quality...

Last edited by dj_soo; Jun 24, 05 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jun 24, 05

haha thanks man that was what i was looking for.

I'm surprised that the efx doesnt have a sampler. I really liked using my 600 sampler but I feel buying a 600 is like taking a step back.

the mixer is basically going to stay in my bedroom so until I get a really good sound setup im pretty sure the quality of sound isn't going to affect me.

The reason I like the 909 so much is that its definately a "mixers" scratch console. That being said the effects definately work for a dj who wants to make his/her mixes stand out, the mixer seems to do this while still maintaining an outstanding scratch mixer. I see the ttm56 the xone02 and the ecler don't have fx's as far as I know which means I may lose some sound quality if I hook up an efx unit to them (not that I would notice in my bedroom)
Old Jun 24, 05
blau

dj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nicedj_soo is just really nice
from everything i've read and heard, the EFX-500 is quality and since the Rane and the Ecler have dedicated Send/Return input/outputs you're not going to get any sound quality drop unless you're using shitty cables...

I love my 707 and am very happy with it as a basic mixer. I'm primarily a mix DJ too and my cutting is somewhat sub-par right now so i don't need a hardcore scratchers mixer at this point. Also, if you're using it primarily for bedroom DJing (and space concern is an issue) I'd say go with the 909. It's cheaper than a rane/efx combo and fuck, the sound quality is near equal enough even in big sound environments that it's not going to be much of an issue...
Old Jun 24, 05
www.akeel.ca

Akeel has a spectacular aura aboutAkeel has a spectacular aura about
everything i could say has been said - but matt I know what type of dj you are and think you would be better matched with a rane or ecler, then adding in a efx500 or efx-1000 and a dedicated sampler...however, be aware that most dedicated samplers while having more sample length time are not as flexible as the djm-600 sampler with regards to editing loops on the fly, creating builds and scratching a sample.
Old Jun 24, 05
blau

^ yo akeel, how does the nuo3 compare to the Empath? It's a hell of a lot cheaper, but the fact that i can get an eternal fader for it (don't think the empath is comparable to the magnetic rane fader) intrigues me...
Old Jun 25, 05
www.akeel.ca

^
IMO the nuo3 wipes its ass with the empath...but I personally really don't like the empath, i dont like the layout or feel and think its ridiculously overpriced for rane's "supposed" entry level mixer...only cool feature is the wet dry for fx.
Old Jun 25, 05
blau

i never thought the Empath was supposed to be the "entry-level" mixer (especially considering that it's more expensive than the 54 or 56)... I think it's more Rane's attempt to create a hybrid scratch/club mixer that appeals to the mixer as well as the scratcher.

I personally love the design and the feel of the Empath and on top of the wet/dry fx control, I also really like the headphone eq that most mixers don't have... I do agree it's over-priced tho - especially considering you can't instal the magnetic x-fader for the unit... Just make sure you change those ridiculous rubber fader knobs with the plastic ones...

That being said, I haven't tried the Nuo3 yet - got a demo unit I can test out one day? :)
Old Jun 25, 05

Lenny is on a distinguished road
heh, I'm shopping for the same thing.. hmm yes, a demo to test out shure would be nice... =]
Old Jun 25, 05
Wayne P

Toxxin Ephekt is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally....I don't even care about sound effects, if you're cueing up in like 15 secs and constantly mixing fast...you don't have time to fiddle with effects. Maybe thats why I still haven't bought a mixer with sound effects or a sampler...maybe one day...but I'd be only buying a new mixer for extra channels...cuz mine only has 2.... =(
Old Jun 25, 05
semblence within chaos.

decypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the rough
Although an empath does not have a crossfader reverse which should be considered if you like to scratch that style.
Old Jun 26, 05
blau

Quote:
Originally Posted by decypher
Although an empath does not have a crossfader reverse which should be considered if you like to scratch that style.
Yea it does. Just assign the channels to the x-fader in reverse.
Old Jun 26, 05
www.akeel.ca

I think terrance and i can both agree its all personal preference, i've never been a fan of 3 channel mixers and cut my teeth on a 600; all about 4 channels or more +fx for me.

As soon as i get a nuo3 and 4 in we can do a demo - i'll keep you and lenny in the loop.
Old Jun 26, 05
blau

^ would love to. I really like the Hak, but I want my next mixer to be a good 3-4 channel battle/club hybrid. I've used the Empath regularly and fell in love with everything but the price and the fact that it still used VGA faders. The Nuo3 looks like it would fit the bill perfectly...
Old Jun 26, 05

That would be wicked akeel.
Old Jun 26, 05
semblence within chaos.

decypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo-x
Yea it does. Just assign the channels to the x-fader in reverse.
I wasen't aware, someone told me that it couldn't be done. My bad.
Old Jun 27, 05
www.akeel.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by (LJF)
That would be wicked akeel.
i have a nuo5 you guys can try out right now...the construction is the same as the nuo3, its just missing the fx and 2 channels

ps. good sushi at that place :P
Old Jun 27, 05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeel
i have a nuo5 you guys can try out right now...the construction is the same as the nuo3, its just missing the fx and 2 channels

ps. good sushi at that place :P
Not too shabby at all =]

So when's good time to check it out?
... and Mat, I'm jealous!
Old Jun 27, 05
blau

bringing this thread back on topic...

did you ever pick up the 909? Any thoughts?
Old Jun 27, 05

bought it. comes in a week.

im not going to lie I have been humming and hawing about it for the last 3 days. If I didnt buy it throgh financing I probably wouldnt have bought something so pricey but I'm paying very little a month for it.

I have the rane ttm56 right now. Boy does it sound beautiful!

thnx for everyones help.
Old Jun 27, 05
www.akeel.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by (LJF)
Not too shabby at all =]

So when's good time to check it out?
... and Mat, I'm jealous!
next week? terrence?
Old Jun 27, 05
blau

where and when?
Old Jun 28, 05
www.akeel.ca

^
i'll hook up a space with some large cabinets and post here