Go Back   FormKaos: Board > General Discussion > Coffee Lounge
FAQ Community Arcade Today's Posts Search

Coffee Lounge Talk amongst other community members.

LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
Old Apr 09, 05
Get down, I do!

Cdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really nice
Anyone else have a fish tank???

Just curious to see if anyone else on this board has a fish tank? I myself have a 40 gallon tank... it's pretty cool in that it's not your standard rectangle tank either. It's got a couple of 45 degree angles in the front to kind of change the shape and it also has blue-mirroed glass on the top and bottom to line it out.

I built a custom oak stand for it to sit on too.... it looks f'ing rad!! I have about 40 odd fish in the tank, all freshwater tropical. Some really nice catfish, angel fish, gouramis, rams, and varying tetras. I'd really like to get a saltwater but it's super expensive and a lot of work.... BUT THE FISH ARE SO PRETTY!!!

I used to think fish were so boring until my parents opened up their pet store and gave me my tank. I've had it for 2+ years now and I love it. Turn off all the lights at night except for the tank light and just sit and watch them and listen to the water.... so relaxing! It also makes a killer centre piece in my living room and I get lots of compliments on the tanks and stand combo.

Any other fish lovers or am I alone in my geeky hobby?
Old Apr 09, 05
.::Music is Emotion::.

Veni*C will become famous soon enoughVeni*C will become famous soon enough
ive had a mini tank (10 gallon) for 3 years now... i love fishies!!! :D

your sounds really cool!
Old Apr 09, 05
to what!#%

revert is an unknown quantity at this point
you have a partner in fish geekiness over here. although, i'm not quite to the point that you are. i have a 10 gallon fresh water tank consisting of roughly 15 fish: guppies, neon tetra's, yellow tails, a cat fish, and an aquatic frog (not a fish).

the frog's my favorite by far. we have an understanding.
Old Apr 09, 05
Get down, I do!

Cdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really niceCdn_Brdr is just really nice
Here's a couple of crappy shots I have of my tank.... I just used my webcam to grab them so their not the best but it demonstrates the shape of the tank like I was saying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishy.JPG (42.5 KB, 95 views)
Old Apr 09, 05
to what!#%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn_Brdr
Here's a couple of crappy shots I have of my tank.... I just used my webcam to grab them so their not the best but it demonstrates the shape of the tank like I was saying.
i like it.

mine sits on a cardboard box full of my kids' toys.

NO TOYS FOR YOU@Q$ muaha.
Old Apr 09, 05
Get down, I do!

^NO TOYS! Fish is serious business yo!
Old Apr 09, 05
sweet sensi crew

mapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the rough
My Parents have a 10 Gallon Tank at home. It's pretty cool to watch them sometimes even though they're just Goldfish.
Old Apr 09, 05
to what!#%

Quote:
^NO TOYS! Fish is serious business yo!
much more serious than the developmental needs of a child.

i'm glad you understand. ;)
Old Apr 09, 05
to what!#%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf4ever
My Parents have a 10 Gallon Tank at home. It's pretty cool to watch them sometimes even though they're just Goldfish.
yeah it's weird. i love watching them. i pretend i'm their god.
Old Apr 09, 05
Get down, I do!

^Yeah I can stare at my fish for hours... OFF THE DRUGS! hahaha

I'm more proud of the stand than anything... built the whole thing myself. Routered all the moulding for the top and bottom and had to put all the corner moulding on for the angles (that was a bitch). Wood fill, staining.... a lot of work but totally worth it.
Old Apr 09, 05
to what!#%

Quote:
^Yeah I can stare at my fish for hours... OFF THE DRUGS! hahaha

I'm more proud of the stand than anything... built the whole thing myself. Routered all the moulding for the top and bottom and had to put all the corner moulding on for the angles (that was a bitch). Wood fill, staining.... a lot of work but totally worth it.
that's intense.

i'd need a library of self-help wood working books to wrap my brain around that job...
Old Apr 09, 05
Get down, I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revert
the frog's my favorite by far. we have an understanding.
I've always wanted to get a frog but I'm not sure how well he'd fare inside my tank. I'd hate to see him get eaten by any of my larger fish. That, and because of the shape of the tank I have open spots on my canopy that he could possibly jump out of.
Old Apr 09, 05
to what!#%

Quote:
I've always wanted to get a frog but I'm not sure how well he'd fare inside my tank. I'd hate to see him get eaten by any of my larger fish. That, and because of the shape of the tank I have open spots on my canopy that he could possibly jump out of.
yeah, it's not a good idea. i was told at the pet store that if i ever got a fish with a mouth bigger than a guppies', it'd think the frogs legs were worms, and eat them.

the last thing i need is a frog massacre.
Old Apr 09, 05
Get down, I do!

FROG MASSACRE!!!!

OH NOES!!!!!
Old Apr 09, 05
karma killer

cubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to all
leviathan has a very nice saltwater reef tank.
Old Apr 09, 05
Get down, I do!

^Yeah... I'm thinking I might get another tank but the cost is so high. My Dad has a 200 gallon saltwater tank. He went with live rock instead of coral though and it looks really nice.

The cost on a saltwater tank is like quadruple what it costs to operate a freshwater. The rock is expensive, the fish can be REALLY expensive, the upkeep is a bitch at times. Either way, it's worth it because it looks damn good when it's all set up.
Old Apr 09, 05
sweet sensi crew

mapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the rough
In the Restaurant at work the owner has a Saltwater Tank with a Lionfish and an Eel. It's amusing to watch him feed them the feeder Goldfish. Morbid fascination with seeing animals kill and eat each other. :)
Old Apr 09, 05
Get down, I do!

^Dude go to Big Al's on Tuesday nights at 7pm.... it's right by your house. SHARK FEEDING!!!!
Old Apr 09, 05
sweet sensi crew

Can I bring someone to feed to the Shark?! :D
Old Apr 09, 05
break dance, not hearts

bebu*funfun will become famous soon enough
i have some fish too! and 2 frogs and one HUGE algae eating fish.. its so huge, kinda scary and it just sticks itself against the glass. yea i dont know the "specs" for my tank, but if anyone wants some plants let me know, cuz they're multiplying and growing non stop in the tank.. it looks like an underwater forest in there.
Old Apr 09, 05
Get down, I do!

^The algae eater is called a Plecostomus..... what kind of pleco you got I don't know but that sounds like what it is....
Old Apr 09, 05

Sue Bitch is an unknown quantity at this point
I once had fish. Sort of a spring break idea about 2 years ago. they only lasted for spring brake. Was not planning on that though
Old Apr 09, 05
I <3 House

Ree Fresh is an unknown quantity at this point
My dad has his tank. Its huge, at least twice as big as shawns. We have african sicleds from lake victoria and a cat fish. When I was a kid I had my own tank and would mass produce guppies and snails.

But what I really want is a cat. However I would never own one living this close to the woods were I hear kittys getting eaten by coyoties weekly!

MEEEEEEOOOOO- *silence*

Last edited by Ree Fresh; Apr 09, 05 at 08:19 PM.
Old Apr 09, 05
runs tings

firestar is on a distinguished road
I have a 33 gal tank with a giant angelfish (well he wasn't giant when I bought him but I spoil then a bit, an irrodescent (sp?) shark, a dwarf goraumi (sp?) and an aquatic frog. It's really peaceful and all my fish have different personalities which is great! The angel has to be 6 inches from top to bottom, my shark is supposed to grow a foot long, but with what I feed him and the tank size, i've kept him under 6 inches as well. And the frog, well I see him once a week. But it's still cool. My next project... the dreaded salt water tank!
Old Apr 10, 05
ceiling cat!

Grapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to all
Me and my new roommate might get an aquarium, but like Rhia what I really want is a kitty. Cats are the greatest.

And btw wellbelove, I'm not entirely sure what it sounds like when a coyote catches a cat, but I bet it isn't silent.

:(