Go Back   FormKaos: Board > General Discussion > Coffee Lounge
FAQ Community Arcade Today's Posts Search

Coffee Lounge Talk amongst other community members.

LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
Old Feb 23, 05

Kraig is a jewel in the roughKraig is a jewel in the roughKraig is a jewel in the roughKraig is a jewel in the roughKraig is a jewel in the rough
Blackberry devices rule

So I picked up a 7290 yesterday (brand new unit with Bluetooth)... This thing rules. Simplistic design and the bomb if you're on the road and frequently mobile and need to email. It's as if you're emailing from your desktop at home! The fact one unit can manage your calendar, be a true email client, phone among other things is the bomb.

Network: GSM/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900

Estimated talk time: up to 4 hours (or 3-4 days voice & email usage)
Weight: 139g
Size: 11.3 x 7.5 x 2.2 cm

Display:
240 x 160 pixels large screen
High resolution 65 KB TFT colour screen
Easy-to-read full colour backlit screen with 2 backlight levels
Lines of text: various font sizes

Features
Wireless Phone: integrated headset and microphone
Wireless E-mail: integrate existing accounts with BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Web Client
Attachment Viewing
PIN-to-PIN Messaging
Text Messaging
Instant Messaging
Mobile Internet
Personal Information Management (PIM) Features
Bluetooth Headset support
Backlit 33-key QWERTY keyboard
Memory: 32 MB Flash Memory plus 4 MB SRAM
Notification: Tone, Vibrate, On-screen or LED Indicator
Modem: Embedded RIM Wireless Modem
Software: Integrated E-mail and Organizer - v3.8 Handheld software provides new features such as Password keeper, Help Menu and a Picture screensaver option
User Interface: Intuitive Icons and Menus
Security: Password Protection
Synchronization: with most popular desktop applications, such as Act!, Groupwise, Lotus Notes, Lotus Organize, Microsoft Scheduler, Microsoft Outlook, Netscape

Connectivity:
BlackBerry Software and USB
Bluetooth

PS: yes I know I'm a geek. Corporate Breaks wut?! :p
Old Feb 23, 05
k is for cool.

clevich is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm, i was looking into getting one, tell me how it works out for ya.
Old Feb 23, 05
Thats gotta hurt!

TrYpTaMiNe is an unknown quantity at this point
how much did it cost? and how much is your plan or whatever you have, and like prices... internet prices.. msn and shit, worth it?
Old Feb 23, 05
unRegistered User

L0ungeLizarD is an unknown quantity at this point
ur black berry has been haxored:114: :114: :114: ........................lol joking
Old Feb 23, 05

Kraig is a jewel in the roughKraig is a jewel in the roughKraig is a jewel in the roughKraig is a jewel in the roughKraig is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevich
hmm, i was looking into getting one, tell me how it works out for ya.
I am a new Blackberry user so I walked in not knowing much about RIM-type products like Blackberry devices. It was a breeze to setup, synch with my Outlook and get my email up and running and routing through to my device. I now receive all my Twisted email to it which is dope especially when I am on the road.

The phone quality seems to be really good as well so thus far, I have no complaints.

PS: I also walked outta there with 12-months free unlimited voice, 3 months free unlimited data and a free Bluetooth headset. Oh and the device after rebates is only going to cost me $300 plus tax which is dope considering retail is $600. Given that savings, even if I wanted to break my contract, it's only going to cost me $200 to do so. I hate contracts, so I always have that to fall back on.
Old Feb 23, 05

PS: to those that have my Fido cell phone number (the one I've had for 8 years now)... I will keep this phone active for some time still but email me for my new cell number as I switched from Fido to Cantel. (They are the same fricken company now anyway!)

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 05
-->Tightcore Trucker<--

Bitchin will become famous soon enoughBitchin will become famous soon enough
Heh..... You're so gonna be addicted to it soon.

Then you'll have to goto meetings that buddy holds on the show 'The hour'

[not George.. the other buddy]
Old Feb 23, 05
rip zilla.

ash1ee is just really niceash1ee is just really niceash1ee is just really niceash1ee is just really niceash1ee is just really niceash1ee is just really niceash1ee is just really nice
once you go crack...you never go back.
Old Feb 23, 05
I <3 House

Ree Fresh is an unknown quantity at this point
fun! now i can leave drunken emails :P
Old Feb 23, 05
feelsssss love

Liqwid is a jewel in the roughLiqwid is a jewel in the roughLiqwid is a jewel in the rough
hi kraig....i read in star someone hacked yer blackberry

~dalyn
Old Feb 23, 05
sNyx.com

sNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nice
Corporate breaks is downsizing, you wont make it through the season Kraig.

Back on topic. The blackberry is a very cool device, I just couldnt see myself using it as a cellphone. It's way too wide, I feel like im talking to a wall. If I had allot of imporant email daily, I would see a purpose for it when commuiting. The PDA functionality is good; schedualing, dates, contacts, ect. Still I would feel the need to carry it in addition to a cell phone, thats just a waste.

Snyx says thumbs down for the average user, wait till they got cameras and a userbase.
Old Feb 23, 05
diuqil_cidica

acidic_liquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sNyx™
Snyx says thumbs down for the average user
I agree there's no point to this if you're not a businessman or works somewhere that requires you to be on the go most of the time.

I don't know why Paris Hilton has a Blackberry, I see her more of the Sidekick type. She's in the new commercials for it :p
Old Feb 23, 05
sNyx.com

sNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nicesNyx is just really nice
pretty much, if its new and hot celebs have it
fuck how could she already have 500 contacts in it?
dear god, they just arrived (in popularity) up here.
Old Feb 23, 05
feelsssss love

Liqwid is a jewel in the roughLiqwid is a jewel in the roughLiqwid is a jewel in the rough
ummm...cause shes paris snickers....

~dalyn
Old Feb 23, 05
semblence within chaos.

decypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the rough
check this out
Attached Images
File Type: gif blackberry_7100_350x480.gif (51.0 KB, 156 views)
Old Feb 23, 05
feelsssss love

omg wut kam???

its nothing we didn't know unless yer white trash

~dalyn
Old Feb 23, 05
diuqil_cidica

acidic_liquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Isn't that the model Mikey just bought?
Old Feb 23, 05

That model you posted is the 7100 and is ideal for those that want more "phone-type" features. It uses predictive text rather than the QWERTY keyboard that mine has. Basically I can type texts/emails WAY faster with mine than the other.

Myles -- I thought exactly the same, but the new unit is lighter and less awkward than you think. That aside though, it is totally for a business professional that needs contacts, a calendar, notes and email on the go. It definitely gets a "Corporate Breaks" approval! :D
Old Feb 23, 05
[RooЯ]pure glass

Hot Karl is an unknown quantity at this point
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/sto..._0205cellphone

Quote:
The world's first mobile phone virus "in the wild" has spread to the United States from its birthplace in the Philippines eight months ago, a security research firm said on Friday.

The virus, called Cabir, has spread slowly into 12 countries and marks the beginning of the mobile phone virus era, which could one day disrupt the lives of many of the world's 1.5 billion mobile phone users.

The biggest impact of the relatively innocuous virus, found in about 15 variations so far, is draining mobile phone batteries, said Mikko Hypponen, director of Finnish anti-virus research company F-Secure (FSC1V.HE).
personally i have absolutely no need for a pda phone. but it seems cool if ya do.
Old Feb 23, 05

tvmann is an unknown quantity at this point
I wonder if the Blackerries are more popular in Europe where the phone systems are all GSM & compatible. Here even Telus cell phones (which use CDMA technology) cannot even send email (last time I checked).

Some job types could make good use of these too, like real estate agents. Problem is, many of those people are old-fashioned and don't even know how to use a computer or anything like that so a Blackberry is beyond them.

If they had speech recognition in the Blackberry that would be great, then you could just dictate your email.
Old Feb 23, 05
John RevoLover

Revolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to allRevolver is a name known to all
cool!...im a palm guy myself(insert jerk off joke here) so the palm one treo is the all in one that im after.

damn thing dose nearly everything!
Old Feb 23, 05

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
cool!...im a palm guy myself(insert jerk off joke here) so the palm one treo is the all in one that im after.

damn thing dose nearly everything!
The new Treo 650 should arrive on our shelves to work with our phone networks here by the end of next month. That's why all the cell phone places are selling the 600's for so cheap.
Old Feb 23, 05
sweet sensi crew

mapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the rough
I'm looking into getting one of those as well. Our Company is upgrading our e-mail and moving to a more electronic system so if I could integrate that into the mix it would be sooooo much more organized. I wouldn't be able to escape work ever... but hey... it's a rad toy!
Old Feb 23, 05
break dance, not hearts

bebu*funfun will become famous soon enough
i personally need to fiddle around with one before i really have a pov on it. from the looks of it yes email everywhere..super cool, but that huge thing as a phone? not so much. i think its only suitable for some ppl.... if i need the net badly enough i have my laptop now, and i THINK from my cellphone i can check email as well, but costs an arm and a leg. kraig lettme play with ure blackberry!!
Old Feb 24, 05
www.myspace.com/atsang

Anjew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebu*funfun
kraig lettme play with ure blackberry!!
LMAO

back on topic.

Kraig 3 yr contract right? and only 200 to get outta it?
free voice for a year... hmm.. intresting... Maybe I should sell my phone and get a blackberry... we shall see...