Go Back   FormKaos: Board > General Discussion > Coffee Lounge
FAQ Community Arcade Today's Posts Search

Coffee Lounge Talk amongst other community members.

LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
Old Dec 28, 06
fuck yeah

Senior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the rough
static ip/port forwarding

So I want to set up port forwarding to make my bit torrents stop crashing/go fast. To do this I need to set up a static IP address. After having some trouble with the whole thing I called my ISP (shaw) and asked them about it. They said that I have a dynamic IP and this is not possible, and then tried to sell my a static IP for lots of money. Some how I think they are full of shit. Can anyone tell me how to set up a static ip from my router (D-Link WBR-2310) ?
Old Dec 28, 06
disillusionist

mekim will become famous soon enough
just set up your ip as a static ip in windows / linux / mac / whatever you're running.

if your network behind the router is 10.1.1.x call your computer 10.1.1.50 or something like that, make sure you put the right dns servers in for shaw & then do all the correct port forwards.

Last edited by mekim; Dec 28, 06 at 12:55 PM. Reason: your not you're dammit.
Old Dec 28, 06
Straight Outta Mocash

Gusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really nice
your pc needs to have a static ip to do the port forwarding, but it doesn't have to be on the internet, just on your home network. you should set your ip statically and then set up the port forwarding on the router to go to that ip you've assigned. i can be more specific if you want, but i'd need to know what router and what OS.
Old Dec 28, 06
Party Paparazzi

rustybob will become famous soon enoughrustybob will become famous soon enough
You don't need an external static IP to do port forwarding. Your own computer needs to either be static, or have the settings on your router set so that it's IP address never changes. From there, in your port forwarding settings, forward the bittorrent ports to your computers IP address.
Old Dec 28, 06
Straight Outta Mocash

Gusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really niceGusto is just really nice
thread closed.
Old Dec 28, 06

anewlife will become famous soon enoughanewlife will become famous soon enough
Hmm...you're confusing things. Yes, you quite likely have a dynamic IP...virtually every home user has a dynamic IP. That's the IP you get from your ISP (Shaw) and it's for *external* communication. Like, when I upload a file to you from Switzerland it goes from my external IP to your external IP...your modem/router gets this IP from your ISP and assigns it to your computer.

So when you called them they tried to sell you a static *external* IP...which doesn't make sense for a home user. Those are for webservers...for instance FNK prolly has a static IP and you could enter this IP in the navigation toolbar of your browser instead of www.fnk.ca and you'd still reach the site. www.fnk.ca is just a tranlation for that (static) IP because it's easier to remember...that's what they call DNS, Domain Name System.

Now you might wonder why not everybody just gets a static IP and what the heck dynamic IPs are good for. Well, the thing is that only IPs between 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255 are possible...that's only 4.228.250.625 PCs. Also, it never happens that all the customers of an ISP are online at the same time (it's usually only 1 out of 10, or even 20) so every ISP just gets a pool of numbers to assign dynamic IPs and your PC gets one randomly when you boot it up and it prolly changes every 24 hours or at least with every reboot.

Anyway, what you mean when you say static IP is not your external IP but your *internal* IP. Let's say you have 2 PCs in a network, so PC1 could have the IP 192.168.1.2 and PC2 the IP 192.168.1.3. When you transfer a file from PC1 to PC2 you just send it from the IP 192.168.1.2 to the IP 192.168.1.3. This IP always stays the same, obviously you don't want it to change, eh...

So what you have to do is set up an internal static IP first...

---> http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Once you have done that you can use this IP to configure your router. You will still have a different *external* IP (the dynamic one you get from your ISP) but now you can forward your static *internal* IP and BT will work fine.

Are you sure your model is WBR-2310?

I can only find instructions for WBR-1310...

http://portforward.com/english/route...-1310index.htm

I guess it's gonna be similar or even the same though...just pick your BT client there and follow the instructions, that should help.

Good luck!!

And sry for my terrible English but I'm tired, didn't get much sleep last night...

Last edited by anewlife; Dec 28, 06 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 28, 06
fuck yeah

Senior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the roughSenior is a jewel in the rough
So I'm running XP and have a D-Link WBR-2310 router.

I set up a static IP within windows and configured my router to send uTorrent to the correct port. However when I test that port to see if it's open it says that it's not. I made sure to make an exception for uTorrent in my firewall as well.

Any suggestions? I'm still getting painfully slow down loads.
Old Dec 28, 06

Disable the XP firewall and get a decent one.
Old Dec 28, 06
fuck yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedfish View Post
Disable the XP firewall and get a decent one.
think that's the problem?
Old Dec 28, 06
Working 24 x 7

Technique is an unknown quantity at this point
Lol Omg Win Xp Firewall Hahhaha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg server.jpg (73.2 KB, 47 views)
Old Dec 28, 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
think that's the problem?
Well disable it and see what it says...
Old Dec 28, 06
fuck yeah

well it seems the firewall wasn't the problem. what i tried was forwarding ports 35000 and 35001 instead of just 35000. after doing this it worked fine.
Old Dec 28, 06
DONT BE BITTER BE BETTER

rawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to all
THESE THREADS ARE 2 PEOPLE THAT GIVE GREAT ANSWERS AND 8 DUDES WHO HAVE A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE AND A LOT OF CONFIDENCE
Old Dec 28, 06

You're among those 8 dudes, that's for sure.
Old Dec 28, 06
Working 24 x 7

Technique is an unknown quantity at this point
uh oh techie fight inc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc.jpg (50.3 KB, 38 views)
Old Dec 28, 06
DONT BE BITTER BE BETTER

rawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to allrawb is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedfish View Post
You're among those 8 dudes, that's for sure.
GUY DON'T EVEN START WITH ME
Old Dec 28, 06

FeelGood is a jewel in the roughFeelGood is a jewel in the roughFeelGood is a jewel in the rough
look out badass rawb will fuck your grill up.

Old Dec 28, 06
brentsadowick.com

Phrenetic is a jewel in the roughPhrenetic is a jewel in the roughPhrenetic is a jewel in the roughPhrenetic is a jewel in the rough
do a search on google for "tor"

it comes with a pack of neat little programs that will do alot of fun stuff with your internets.

you may find something helpfull
Old Dec 28, 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawb View Post
GUY DON'T EVEN START WITH ME
Why? I'm just having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGood View Post
look out badass rawb will fuck your grill up.

He's gotta try harder then.
Old Dec 28, 06
http://virb.com/esoter1c

esoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to allesoter1c is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawb View Post
THESE THREADS ARE 2 PEOPLE THAT GIVE GREAT ANSWERS AND 8 DUDES WHO HAVE A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE AND A LOT OF CONFIDENCE
Old Dec 28, 06
DONT BE BITTER BE BETTER

LETS BE SERIOUS HERE STOKEDFISH, AFTER THE FIRST PARAGRAPH YOU JUST STARTED MAKING STUFF UP TO FILL SPACE, AM I RIGHT?

ALL THAT CREATIVE WRITING IS VERY IMPRESSIVE FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS A PRETTY FLIMSY GRASP ON ROUTING
Old Dec 28, 06

Chewy has a spectacular aura aboutChewy has a spectacular aura aboutChewy has a spectacular aura about
i always thought your provider set your IP address and they can change it if need be.
Old Dec 28, 06
disillusionist

mekim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
i always thought your provider set your IP address and they can change it if need be.
shush, you're not helping here.
Old Dec 28, 06
tiestn vancorstenfold

ppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
So I want to set up port forwarding to make my bit torrents stop crashing/go fast. To do this I need to set up a static IP address. After having some trouble with the whole thing I called my ISP (shaw) and asked them about it. They said that I have a dynamic IP and this is not possible, and then tried to sell my a static IP for lots of money. Some how I think they are full of shit. Can anyone tell me how to set up a static ip from my router (D-Link WBR-2310) ?

its impossible to get a static ip adress with an interweb company.
mayhaps you need a better router as d-link is shite.
Old Dec 28, 06
tiestn vancorstenfold

ppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of lightppcock is a glorious beacon of light
get a better firewall? are you fucking fucked?! xp's firewall is good enough for any job. Yeah, you should just go buy a license for zonealarm.