Go Back   FormKaos: Board > General Discussion > Coffee Lounge
FAQ Community Arcade Today's Posts Search

Coffee Lounge Talk amongst other community members.

LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
Old Oct 09, 06
ceiling cat!

Grapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to all
UN Secretary Generals.. the name game

Word is that Kofi Annan is about to be replaced as Secretary General of the United Nations. His successor will likely be South Korea's Ban Ki-Moon.. thus, the torch to be handled only by people with COMPLETELY FREAKIN WEIRD NAMES has been passed!

Look at this:

Kofi Annan
Ban Ki-Moon
Dag Hammarskjöld
Trygve Halvdan Lie
Javier Pérez de Cuéllar
Sir Gladwyn Jebb
Boutros Boutros-Ghali (classic.. the Secretary General so nice, they named him twice)
And, last, but certainly not least, U Thant.

That was the guy's name! The letter U!

I know these people come from various corners of the world, so their names won't necessarily sound normal to an English speaking individual such as myself. But look at the one guy I left off the list, Kurt Waldheim.. a somewhat foreign name, but nothing that you'd think twice about. Kurt, however, is clearly the exception to the rule.

Is this part of the rules or what?
Old Oct 09, 06
ceiling cat!

Grapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to allGrapes is a name known to all
I doubt anyone besides me gives a shit about this :-|
Old Oct 09, 06
sweet sensi crew

mapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the roughmapleleaf4ever is a jewel in the rough
I never really noticed until you lined them all up like that.

heh heh that's pretty amusing.
Old Oct 09, 06
karma killer

cubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to allcubed is a name known to all
and all this coming from a "MEREDITH"!!!

:P
Old Oct 09, 06
semblence within chaos.

decypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the rough
lol did you steal that from the hour tonight with George?

Because he did the exact same bit. Word for word.
Old Oct 09, 06
ceiling cat!

^ I seriously did not. :-o

Quote:
and all this coming from a "MEREDITH"!!!
Take it back! Take it baack!!!

You're a real shit disturber these days arentcha Jim?
Old Oct 09, 06
semblence within chaos.

decypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the roughdecypher is a jewel in the rough
No seriously turn on CBC channel 3 at 11. A bit into it he starts naming a bunch of the other UN SG's and even says something about Boutros Boutros and his naming being twice because he was so good lol. Not shitting you.
Old Oct 09, 06
Don't Believe The Hype

diva is a jewel in the roughdiva is a jewel in the roughdiva is a jewel in the rough
LOL. I noticed that too. Boutros is my favourite. You should hear my dad say that name with a Ghanaian accent.

Mr. Annan's Ghanaian. In Ghana, his first name is actually equivalent to common North American names like Michael or John.

What about IOC presidents? They usually have pretty rad names as well!
Old Oct 09, 06
ceiling cat!

Calling a black man "coffee" counts as funny in my books.

The "so nice they named it twice" is a cliched joke..

I promise I had no idea what Strombompouloupolus was up to.
Old Oct 09, 06
ceiling cat!

HEY! George would make a good Secretary General of the UN!
Old Oct 09, 06
Don't Believe The Hype

diva is a jewel in the roughdiva is a jewel in the roughdiva is a jewel in the rough
It's not pronounced "coffee", though.

lol
i found this link
BBC has a pronounciation unit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditor...nciation_unit/
A guide to words and names in the news, from Catherine Sangster of the BBC Pronunciation Unit.

"Today's news-related pronunciation is an apparently simple name, often mispronounced: UN secretary-general Kofi Annan.

The pronunciation is KOH-fi AN-an, with the stress on the first syllable of the surname. We have the best possible source for this pronunciation; it is how he said his name himself during his swearing-in ceremony in 1996."

They tell you how to pronounce Olmert's first name on there too. Nifty!

It would be really rad if one could subscribe to, and receive, a "mispronounced name of the day" email.
Old Oct 10, 06
black swan

prozac is just really niceprozac is just really niceprozac is just really niceprozac is just really niceprozac is just really niceprozac is just really nice
Boutros Boutros-Ghali is my dad's favorite...my dad follows everything he does only because he's fascinated with the name.

As for Kofi, apparently I tried to convince my mom to name my little brother Kofi. Don't know where, but as a 4-year-old I must have absorbed it somewhere.